Wellington Arch, Hyde Park
Built in 1846, Wellington Arch, originally opposite the Decimus Burton Screen at the south end of Hyde Park, was relocated in 1883 to its current central position.
The works involved:
- The monument was cleaned using hand tooling, nebulous spray water washing, JOS micro particle cleaning and DOFF hot water washing with specialist nozzles and dry abrasive system.
- 7 modillion brackets, 5 lion masks, 22 metres of egg and dart moulding and several metres of large cornice section were re-carved in Base Bed Portland stone.
- Stone of sufficient size and quality for ornate carving for half of a Corinthian capital was sourced, the capital was re-carved on site.
- A large dentil section to the North West corner was replaced, upon which a large pineapple image was carved insitu.
- Part of the west entablature was dismantled using specialist hydraulic lifting equipment to inspect the suspected corroding steel frame.
- Stainless steel support brackets were installed in the architrave spanning the portico on the east and west elevations.
- A crack to one of the column shafts was pinned using stone ‘tiles’
let in and carved insitu to bridge the fracture.
- The arch is now removed from the English Heritage 2001 Buildings at Risk Register.