SURVEY – Nelson’s Column, London
Landmark monument completed in 1867 to commemorate Nelson’s victories.
The works involved:
- Bi-annual inspection and maintenance of 180 feet grey Devon granite column and statue fashioned from two sections of sandstone.
- Inspection team examined all sides of the monument, including bronze capital.
- 100 tonne crane was used to elevate a steel cage suspended from a 200 foot jib.
- Stonework was examined carefully at close quarters.
- Task took place overnight and careful management and critical timing ensured minimum public inconvenience.