St Bartholomew’s Hospital West Wing
The Portland stone elevations had never been cleaned before.
The works involved:
- Extensive trials resulted in a dry abrasive system being chosen to achieve the desired result.
- Following cleaning extensive repointing and repairs were undertaken, including indenting defective areas in natural Portland stone by banker masons.
- Door openings were reinstated as window openings including rusticated jams and heads.
- Twelve chimney stacks were taken down and rebuilt in Portland stone to their original height and detail.
- Disabled access ramps were incorporated in the scheme.