Kew Palace, Disabled Access Ramp
Kew Palace is an historic site of international importance and a Scheduled Ancient Monument.
The works involved:
- The contract included the formation of a disabled ramp in accordance with current DDA Regulations requiring the alteration of an existing entrance for wheelchair access.
- All excavation work for new formwork was carried out by hand to minimise any disturbance to the façade preserve items of historic interest.
- Listed stone was carefully removed and set aside for reuse matched with new following provision of samples and a rigorous selection process.
- Internal stone flooring and a number of fireplace hearths were cleaned using conservation methodology.
- The works were closely monitored throughout by the resident Archaeologist allowing time for the investigation and recording of significant finds.