Kentish Town Sports Centre/ Swimming Baths
The former Victorian Swimming Baths were housed in this magnificent Grade II Listed, Victorian building, which has been successfully converted into a community sports centre with 3 swimming pools, state of the art fitness studios and new living accommodation for local community residents.
The works involved:
- Cleaning trials and repair samples, approved by English Heritage and planners.
- Façade cleaning using the Torc system to brickwork and mild soap “Vulpex” to terracotta dressings.
- Full building survey.
- Each terracotta unit was surveyed and then drawn. From this models and over 200 individual moulds were produced in order to manufacture the replacement terracotta.
- There were 20,000 plain and moulded bricks used throughout the project, all handmade using traditional methods, all matching original profiles.
- 10 no. ornate chimney stacks were carefully dismantled and re-built using salvaged & new bricks.
- Replacement of failing gauged brick arches, coping stones, low level steps, low level terracotta plinth stones.
- Brickwork and terracotta repointing.