Horniman Museum, Forest Hill London
The Horniman Museum was opened in 1901 as a gift of Frederick Horniman. Designed by Harrison Townsend it was, and is, one of the most original Art Nouveau buildings in England with its distinctive Clock Tower and barrel roofed main hall.
The works involved:
- Piling works and installation of ground beam.
- Re-building the boundary wall and re-construction of concrete paths and steps.
- Cutting out and replacing of the stonework to the internal clock surround.
- Removal and replacement of the clock face fixings and bolts.
- Installation of new restraint brackets to the Clock Tower.
- Minor external stone mortar repairs to the Clock surround, using rope access.
Specifically, the repairs to the internal of the clock, required internal scaffolding to a restrictive area and all works were carried out manually, in order to avoid any dust.
External survey of the stonework was also required, using rope access.