HMP Pentonville was built over 160 years ago and opened in 1842. The Grade II Listed Building contains a four storey Roman Catholic Chapel with heavy rendered detailing to the west elevation, which was deteriorating on three elevations.
This contract achieved the Partnering Objectives and Targets required under a PPC2000 contract, also avoiding unnecessary disruption to the operation of the prison and allowing operation and access to the Chapel and surrounding buildings.
The works involved:
- Removal of exposed render from the Chapel including the removal and treatment of vegetation to prevent regrowth.
- New lime rendering and reinstatement of render features including cornices, window surrounds, pilasters and keystones.
- Existing walls required extensive brickwork repairs and replacement works.
- Replacement of existing rainwater goods.
- New lead flashings to the horizontal render elements.