Farringdon Station, Farringdon, London
The station was opened on 10 January 1863 as the terminus of the original Metropolitan Railway, the world's first underground metro line. The station, initially named Farringdon Street, was originally a short distance from today's building. The station was relocated on 23 December 1865 when the Metropolitan Railway opened an extension to Moorgate. As part of the Thames-link re-development and upgrade our works included the external refurbishment of the façades of a Victorian Station plus new build work to form the new platform development.
The works involved:
- All new build block-work for the new platform and the Thames-link station.
- Refurbishment of existing brickwork, replacements and re-pointing in matching materials to that of the original.
- New brickwork arches in matching materials were formed as part of new openings on existing platforms
- Specialist façade cleaning employing variable pressure, variable temperature steam systems to high levels and to the entrance way external brickwork
- Stone repairs including replacement copings and string courses in Crossland Hill York stone
- Pre-cast units were manufactured and fixed for the platform edging
- New Bath stone copings and band courses to chimneys.
- New lead work flashings and DPC were employed to parapet areas.
- New Granite plinths and up-stands for existing shop fronts and retail units.