Carshalton War Memorial
Vandalized three weeks before Remembrance Day, this left the local authority little chance of restoring the memorial to its former glory for the annual service. Thieves had stolen the York flagstone paving overnight. The local paper published a story highlighting the problem, which was read by a Stonewest employee.
The Directors then contacted the newspaper and offered to step in, applying their resources where possible. They were able to negotiate reclaimed paving to match the existing, with immediate delivery, supplied at a significantly reduced cost. Stonewest’s specialist services were offered free of charge to fix the replacement paving and carry out sympathetic DOFF cleaning of the monument and surrounding paving in time for the Remembrance Day Service Commemoration.
The works involved:
- Surveying the area of paving which was stolen.
- Procuring an exact match with immediate delivery.
- Installation of replacement paving to original line and level.
- Doff cleaning of entire area upon completion
- Inspection and sign off of the finished work with the
Local Authority and conservation officer.