Brixton Windmill (Award Winner)
Following a campaign lasting more than a decade, a grant from the Heritage Lottery Fund, enabled this historic Grade II* Listed windmill to be restored. This award winning project has been re-opened for free public tours and school visits, when you can see the Windmill operating once more.
The works involved:
- Taking over the derelict site surrounding the defunct and dangerous structure.
- Investigations and underpinning of the Windmill.
- Temporary removal, timber repair and re-instatement of the sails.
- Overhauling gear and grinding mechanisms.
- Removal of failed bricks and render. Brick replacement, repointing and crack repairs.
- Breaking through and re-opening bricked up doorway.
- External brickwork repairs to window arches and reveals.
- Sundry landscaping works.