Charing Cross Police Station
Originally the Charing CrossHospital, this 1830’s building designed by Decimus Burton, required extensive restoration during it’s conversion to a police station.
The works involved:
- Following paint removal to reveal the true condition of the Stucco facades, Stonewest Ltd carried out a complete survey prior
to embarking on the repairs.
- Special features included the recreation of the main cornice to the Agar Street elevation, by the use of stainless steel bracketry
and mesh wrapping, covered with built-up layers of specialist mortars, to reproduce the original architectural details.
- Damaged portions of the Corinthian capitals were recreated by use of squeeze moulds and fixed with stainless steel dowels.
- The project also called for detailed reworking of the entrance portico and the repair and where necessary, replacement of high level stone balustrading.
- After 20 years the stucco facades are still sharp and show no signs of deterioration.