West Norwood Cemetery
The scope of work was to survey and access dangerous memorials, undertake emergency making safe of dangerous memorials and rebuilding. Architectural detective work was carried out to find all missing pieces of the original monument before work commenced. The repair works involved consolidating and stabilising the monuments, without destroying the patina and character of the memorials.
- Careful dismantling of the monument down to the top of the brick lined grave or earth.
- Inspection of the lining of the grave and carrying out of repairs to address structural collapse issues from tree roots. This was carried out where possible without removing coffins.
- Backfilling grave linings with an inert fill to stabilise the below ground structure.
- Casting of reinforced concrete to act as either a ground support raft or a diaphragm slab on brick lined graves.
- Rebuilding of monuments and re-assembly of found components. Careful cleaning
- Local repairs to the monuments; piecing in missing or broken sections.
- Re-pointing open joints.