St Paul’s Cathedral - Various
Stonewest have contributed to the preservation of St Paul’s Cathedral, carrying out works including the cleaning and restoration of the West Front Elevation, where Stonewest took up and re-laid the main entrance steps and landings and the subsequent redesign and laying of the OBE Chapel floor. In 2008, Stonewest completed the award winning landscaping of the South Churchyard, which depicts the original pre-Christopher Wren cloisters in a variety of Purbeck and Portland Limestone, displaying the medieval remains of the previous cathedral destroyed in the Great Fire of 1666.
South Churchyard & South Portico Steps
Using a combination of Purbeck stones including Barnfield Whetson, Feather and Grub the footprint of the Cloisters and Chapter House have been meticulously re-created. The elaborate detailed inlay was all hand worked to very fine tolerances. Original wrought iron railings taken from long term storage have been re-fixed into new Portland stone boundary walls matching other original walls on the North side. Replacement of the existing laminated South Transept steps to provide a regular safe access to the South side of the Cathedral. Including the removal of existing Poolvaiish limestone circular steps and consolidation of the existing Wren sub-structure and replacement of the new steps using Granite to match the North Trancept and West Front. Stonewest also installed new bronze hand rails with integrated LED lighting to aid night time ingress and egress.
Internal Crypt & DDA AccessThis contract was to assist the Cathedral in reworking areas of the Crypt to provide access to areas in line with the DDA regulations and included the construction of new underground ducts to re-route services, the formation of new Portland stone ramps to enable wheelchair access and the installation of new brass studs to both new and existing stone steps to demarcate the treads for the visually impaired. New concrete floor slabs were cast to levels to accommodate a new floor finish of Portland stone.