Built by the Victorian London Cemetery Company, war damage and time had caused disrepair to these 55 acres of natural beauty. The restoration project fell into four main areas:
The works involved:
1. Anglican Chapel
- Reconstructing walls and replacing parapets with capping to shed water from exposed wall tops.
- Exhuming 50 bodies, some in decorative lead embossed coffins.
- Re-interring in new pine coffins.
- Installing new stone floors and reopening original doorways.
2. Monuments/Burial Chambers
- 100 monuments dating back to 1850 were prioritised
- for restoration/reconstruction.
- Many had suffered bomb damage with several tonnes of stone shifting to expose graves.
- Neglect had led to trees literally growing through the structures.
- Some 6000 square metres of land cleared in between the bird nesting seasons.
- 1000 square metres laid to grass with 3000 square metres of new paths. 150 metre long entrance road re-laid and bordered by dwarf flint walls.
- Design, supply and fix 280 lineal metres of new railings.
- Refurbish Portland stone and brick piers to perimeter.