Victoria Palace Theatre
The works involved:
- The work entailed cleaning of cream faience followed by extensive repairs and restoration including repointing of joints, removal of ferrous steel fixings and replacement faience units.
- Where the glazed face of units had eroded a special hand applied simulated glaze coat was applied.
- The cupola structure originally included uncased structural steel ring beams that had rusted, expanded and lifted the faience masonry.
- This necessitated the insitu shot blasting of steelwork and additional material was fixed to strengthen the weakened structure which avoided the complete take down and rebuild of the structure.
- Scaffold access was of particular importance, as was the length of the working day as the show ‘Buddy’ remained in production during the contract.