The project was undertaken to meet the client's 10-year cyclical programme of maintenance to the external facades.
The works Involved:
- The cleaning and repair of the grade II listed Portland stone façade, the refurbishment and replacement of mild steel casement windows, the repair and replacement of asphalt and copper weathering, bronze spraying of decorative steel gates and the
re-guilding of the fibre glass sculptures to the main and north entrance.
- The facade was cleaned using a combination of water cleaning, supplemented by the JOS cleaning method and mild chemical cleaning to areas of tooled granite.
- The facade was generally in good order, but still required the repointing of all defective joints and a combination of repair by piecing-in natural stone and using specialist mortar repairs.
- The existing windows were refurbished using a higher performance double glazed unit.
- Corroded windows were replaced using the modern W20 section, adapted to suit the original window configuration and design.
- Throughout the project, the building was fully occupied with works undertaken using a combination of normal and out of hours working.
- Our works won The Corporation of London considerate Contractors Scheme Gold Award in 1997 & 1998.