In 1792, Samuel Newington opened the Priory Ticehurst House near Wadhurst as a place dedicated to the care and treatment of psychiatric illness. From relatively modest beginnings Ticehurst developed during the 19th Century into a grandiose estate covering around 500 acres.
It attracted an affluent clientele, including aristocratic and prominent society figures. Some patients, who came with a regime of servants, took up residence in one of the villas within the grounds.
The works involved:
- Developing the architects concept drawing and specification, through to detailed factory cutting sheets ready for production.
- Elevational surveys to establish likely Schedules of Work.
- Scaffolding erected to maintain safe environment for patients.
- Paint and render removal.
- Render repairs (plain and decorative) in lime mortars.
- Timber window repairs using the Window Care system and traditional joinery repairs
- Re-routing of rainwater goods and electrical services.
- Slate and lead roofing repairs.
- Alteration of weathering details and insulation to comply with good practice.
- Repainting of facades and windows.