Lutyens House (now Britannic House), Finsbury Circus
This 1920’s building designed by Sir Edwin Lutyen, was originally built for the Iranian Oil Company.
The works involved:
- Cleaning of the intricate Portland stone using a combination of intermittent pulse washing, nebulous spray, fine air abrasives delivered using pencil guns to the carved areas and poulticing.
- A comprehensive survey was undertaken and defects carefully repaired by indenting, wherever possible, using salvaged stone.
- Areas of stone were dismantled to expose corroding structural steelworks to the West Street entrance.
- After treatment of the steelworks, the area was rebuilt in new matching stone to conform to the original design.
- Alterations were carried out to various openings, involving the dismantling of large pieces of stone and the statues consolidated using lime water and a shelter coat.
- The building, which is now British Petroleum’s Head Office, won a City Heritage Award and under a separate order to the client, Stonewest Ltd carved Britannic House into the fascia of the Moorgate elevation and renewed the York stone main entrance steps to Finsbury Circus.