London Coliseum – Survey
An accurate schedule of work was needed to apply for a Lottery Grant.
The works involved:
- Scaffolding was erected to enable close investigative work to be carried out.
- Holes were carefully cut in the façades to expose steelwork and the backing structure.
- Painted terracotta and brickwork dating from 1904 were given detailed inspection.
- It was discovered that areas of terracotta had been replaced with painted concrete rather than the original material.
- Sections were taken through the facework of the terracotta in various positions across the building.
- Findings were recorded in detail for inclusion in the survey report.
- Cleaning trials using the DOFF cleaning method and sampling to help advise optimum refurbishment methods.
- Budgetary figures for restoration were provided together with a schedule of all the terracotta that would be required for the project.