Whilst RG Group were building a new Sainbury’s supermarket, a section of the new design involved the integration of the McMullens Brewery buildings which required Restoration, Conservation and Alteration to fulfill the planning consent conditions.
The works involved:
- Repair of external brick and stone dressed facades.
- Timber window refurbishment and upgrading.
- Re-roofing the slate pitches and associated lead details.
- Restoration and repair of the Clock tower and Clock mechanism.
- Industrial openings were bricked up.
- Removal of the old brewery equipment comprising cast iron, steel and stainless steel tanks located at all levels throughout the building, including dismantling of the copper lined, oak framed fermenting vessels.
- One large vessel was rebuilt as a reminder to shoppers of the buildings past industrial heritage.