Harrods – Knightsbridge 1994-1998
The works involved:
- The load bearing terracotta elevations starting with Brompton Road required cleaning.
- This necessitated specialist techniques to remove the layers of city grime by the JOS wet grit blast system, which achieved a clean result, yet maintained the condition of the kiln fired coating on this most decorative of building materials.
- Areas of replacement were known to be required at the outset, but as work and inspections progressed, structural steel was increasingly identified as causing severe fracturing of the terracotta units, especially the second floor ring beam.
- Replacement and repair of the defective steel was required taking account of fire restrictions.
- Conventional and hanging access scaffolds were required to achieve the client’s requirements of maintaining shop window visibility throughout.